Welcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Love to wake up to an early morning performance of (deeply unconvincing) masculinity.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- John Bolton was spotted on his way to the West Wing. Bolton, a man eager to war and large of mustache, is rumored to be “waiting in the wing” to replace National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster. [Twitter]
- John Kelly is furious!!!! [Politico]
- Jared Kushner has a friend. Or, at least, a Saudi prince who brags that Kushner is “in his pocket.” Truly a beautiful friendship. [The Intercept]
- John Dowd, Donald Trump’s leading attorney on the Russia probe, has resigned. [Politico]
- Speaking of goodbyes, Rex Tillerson said some of his own. “This can be a very mean-spirited town,” Tillerson said. “But you don’t have to choose to participate in that.” Strange last words from a man who willingly took a job in the Trump administration. [Talking Points Memo]
- Before Tillerson was fired via tweet, he ensured that charges against 11 members of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s security team were dropped by federal prosecutors. The men were caught on video beating Turkish dissidents in Washington, DC. The decision was made to “ease one source of tension” between the United States and Turkey. [Wall Street Journal]
- After blaming his wife for the mahogany table scandal rocking HUD, Ben Carson finally took responsibility. “I take responsibility,” Carson told a Senate subcommittee after he was asked to take responsibility. He also clarified that the $31,000 wasn’t just for the cost of the table but for “17 pieces of furniture.” Like many Americans, I appreciate that clarity. [New York Times]
- Republican Senators are reportedly considering the “nuclear option” to push through Trump’s nominees. [The Hill]
- The House managed to pass its $1.3 trillion spending bill. [CBS News]
Here are some tweets the President was allowed to publish: