Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Who among us hasn’t held off resigning from our role as an elected official after the public discovered you did black face in you youth?
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- After apologizing Friday for appearing in an ‘80s yearbook photo wearing blackface next to someone in a KKK outfit, then denying that it was him in the photo, then admitting in a press conference to blackening his face with shoe polish to impersonate Michael Jackson, then turning down a reporter’s request to moonwalk, then resisting calls for his resignation, disgraced Virginia Governor Ralph Northam is still governor. Northam is currently consulting with his staff over whether or not he has a political future (probably not). Meanwhile, black Virginians who voted for Northam feel cheated. At least Northam can find support in everyone’s favorite former Democrat, Joe Lieberman. [Associated Press]
- Turns out the majority of Americans want to tax the fuck out of the rich. [Politico]
- The Green New Deal that Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez helped bring to the mainstream of the Democratic agenda has its first set of initial congressional co-sponsors. [Axios]
- A civil rights lawsuit has been filed against a federal jail in Brooklyn, New York that allegedly provided little heat and electricity to inmates for over a week despite brutal, below freezing temperatures. [WSJ]
- The Pentagon plans to deploy an extra 3,750 troops to the U.S.-Mexico border for 90 days because they apparently love to waste money and ruin lives. [NBC News]
- But in happier news...
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag