Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Slow news day, huh!
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- After Trump ally Chris Ruddy claimed that the president had been considering firing special prosecutor Robert Mueller—the White House and trump ally Newt Gingrich denied this—lawmakers across the aisle warned Trump against it and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein assured lawmakers that he would not follow any improper orders to oust Mueller. Technically, though, if he really wanted to, Trump could fire Rosenstein and install someone who was willing to fire Mueller. And he’s been known to make incredibly stupid decisions. But he probably won’t. But maybe he will! [Politico]
- Republicans very quickly backtracked from an ominous, sudden order to reporters to refrain from filming interviews in Senate hallways without special permission, which would mark a huge break from longstanding traditions guiding the relationship between the press and members of Congress. [CNBC]
- Trump has reportedly called the House AHCA bill “mean,” and a “son of a bitch” which is both an understatement and a full 180 from a man who very clearly has absolutely no idea what his Congress is getting ready to do. When asked about this, Rep. Louis Gohmert (R-TX) replied (in a sincere question, according to the reporter): “The one... that he had us come over and celebrate?” [Associated Press, Twitter]
- After using their plight for political propaganda, ICE is rounding up Iraqi Christians for deportation—which is potentially a death sentence. This is pretty unbelievable. [Politico]
- The FDA has indefinitely delayed the launch of enhanced nutrition labels meant to help Americans improve their diet. [Washington Post]
- The Senate, with the help of five Democrats, has blocked a bipartisan effort to block a $500 million arms deal to Saudi Arabia. [Politico]
- Ryan Zinke wants to privatize national park campgrounds. [The New Mexican]
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.