Didn’t see that one coming!
- A ProPublica investigation found that a secret Facebook group for Border Patrol agents is—surprise—full of vile posts where members cracked jokes about the deaths of people crossing the U.S-Mexico border and talked about throwing burritos at Latinx members of Congress, whom they described as “bitches,” “hoes,” and “scum buckets.” Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez in particular has drawn the ire of its members—one post features an illustration of her performing oral sex at a detention center, along with the text “Lucky Illegal Immigrant Glory Hole Special Starring AOC.” Another depicts “a smiling President Donald Trump forcing Ocasio-Cortez’s head toward his crotch.” In response, the Border Patrol union released a weak statement that condemns what they called the “inappropriate” and “unprofessional” posts but then tries to attack Ocasio-Cortez, and makes no mention of whether or not they will perform an investigation or take disciplinary action. [ProPublica]
- Meanwhile, Ocasio-Cortez and other members of the House visited two Customs and Border Protection facilities on Monday and shared what she saw:
- Relatedly, an internal report issued in May by the Department of Homeland Security’s Office of Inspector General warned of terrible conditions at an unnamed Border Patrol station in El Paso, Texas, from extreme overcrowding to lack of access to showers and toilets, all of which led to outbreaks of flu, chickenpox, and scabies. [NBC News]
- Stephanie Grisham’s tenure as White House press secretary is off to a bruising start. [Politico]
- No incumbent is safe! A new consulting firm formed by former Bernie staffers is planning to “primary the consulting class.” [The Daily Beast]
- Missouri’s last remaining abortion clinic is still open, but stuck in limbo. [New York Times]
- What impact did last week’s Democratic primary debates have? Exhibit A:
- And Exhibit B:
- Democracy truly dies in darkness!!
- I cannot with this Marianne erasure.
This has been Barf Bag.