Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
How much Diet Dr. Pepper do you think I’ll need to get through the Democratic primary debates this week?
- One Joe running for the Democratic presidential nomination is already one Joe too many, but there is now another Joe—a Joe that I do not know. [New York Times]
- Donald Trump imposed new sanctions on Iran. “We can already hear the sound of our bones breaking,” one Iranian woman said of the impact of U.S. sanctions. [Washington Post/Associated Press]
- Do you want to read the vetting documents the Republican National Committee pulled together on everyone from Laura Ingraham to Ben Carson? [Axios]
- Most of the children who were detained in horrific, inhumane conditions at the Border Patrol station in Clint, Texas have been moved, some to another Border Patrol station that doesn’t appear to be much better. Here’s an account from an attorney who visited the new facility: “One boy I spoke with said his family didn’t get mattresses or blankets for the first two nights and he and his mom came down with a fever. He said there were no toothbrushes, and it was very, very cold.” [Associated Press]
- The bodies of four people—one young woman, two infants, and a toddler—were found near the U.S. border with Mexico in Texas’ Rio Grande Valley. [Washington Post/McAllen Monitor]
- At a town hall a week after South Bend police officer Ryan O’Neill shot and killed 53-year-old Eric Logan, Pete Buttigieg faced some sharp criticism from largely black residents over the steps he’s taken, or not taken, to address police violence. “We don’t trust you!” one woman shouted. [Los Angeles Times]
- “As I read about Beto O’Rourke’s idea for a ‘war tax,’ I thought to myself, aren’t our taxes already war taxes?” [CNN]
- Is it possible to die due to a crushing amount of second-hand embarrassment?
- Is it possible to die due to a crushing amount of second-hand embarrassment, part two?
This has been Barf Bag.