Welcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Congratulations on surviving another week of dumb shit.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- Though police are still investigating a bomb that detonated in London’s subway system on Friday morning, Donald Trump has used the opportunity to low-key blame Muslims and brag about his travel ban against six Muslim-majority countries and refugees. Trump took to Twitter on Friday to say “The travel ban into the United States should be far larger, tougher and more specific-but stupidly, that would not be politically correct!” He added: “We have made more progress in the last nine months against ISIS than the Obama Administration has made in 8 years.Must be proactive & nasty!”[Donald Trump Twitter]
- London officials are pissed at Trump, noting that his tweets are not helping the chaotic situation. [TPM]
- The White House again threatened your access to a free press on Friday, when White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders suggested for the second time that ESPN fire Jemele Hill for characterizing Trump as a “bigot” and “white supremacist” on Twitter. “I think the point is that ESPN has been hypocritical. They should hold anchors to a fair and consistent standard,”she said on Friday, clarifying her remarks on Wednesday in which she straight up called for Hill’s ouster. “ESPN suspended a long-time anchor Linda Cohn, not too long ago for expressing a political viewpoint. The network’s public editor has said there’s been a perception that the ESPN has become political an that has harmed the network. This is clearly a political statement. They should be consistent in whatever guidelines they have set themselves in that front.” [White House Press Briefing/NBCNews]
- The White House says it will clarify its confusing statements on immigration within the next seven to ten days. Guess we’ll just...sit tight.[Politico]
- A federal judge has stepped in to issue a preliminary injunction against the Justice Department’s threat to withhold federal grants from sanctuary cities who do not comply with requests from federal immigration officials. [The Hill]
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.