Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
I think this is my last Barf Bag? It’s been barfy, everyone……
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- When asked whether the government shutdown will happen, President Trump said that:
- Metaphorically speaking, that is. What he actually said was that it’s “too early to say,” despite the fact that all signs point to no shutdown. [The Hill]
- Amid all this shutdown garb, it appears that some congressional lawmakers are trying to push a piece of legislation called the Israel Anti-Boycott Act, which would prohibit American companies from participating in boycotts against Israel—a clear violation of the First Amendment, says Manar Waheed of the ACLU. [The New York Times]
- Vermont Senator and 2016 presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders came out on top of Democracy for America’s first straw poll for the 2020 election cycle, followed by former Vice President Joe Biden. Between this and the news that yet another gay show from the aughts is getting an unnecessary reboot/revival, I’m very sick of our collective lack of imagination! [Politico]
- Arizona Governor Doug Ducey has appointed Republican Representative Martha McSally to the Senate seat left open by John McCain following the late senator’s death. [CNN]
- Nevada is now the first state in United States history to have a majority female legislature. Men banned! Perhaps… [The Nevada Independent]
- Here’s a buncha ways Michael Flynn fucked up. [The New York Times]
- The Oathkeepers can’t even do court support right! [Mother Jones]
- Maria Meza, the Honduran woman pictured fleeing tear gas canisters with her two children at the U.S.-Mexico border in a photograph by Kim Kyung-Hoon, has been allowed into the country to seek asylum, her lawyers and California Representative Jimmy Gomez confirmed. [NBC News]
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.