Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Thank fuck this hell week is over!!!!!!!
- CNN reports that on a trip to Calexico, California last week, President Trump told the commissioner of Customs and Border Protection, Kevin McAleenan, that if he was sent to jail for illegally blocking migrants from seeking asylum, he’ll just grant him a pardon. It’s apparently unclear if this was a joke or not, but even if it was, what a ghoulish sense of humor about a perilous situation. [CNN]
- It’s day two of the Indian elections. [BBC]
- A guy lit himself on fire in front of the White House. He’s fine. [ABC News]
- Vice President Pence pinky promises not to bring back the family separation policy at the U.S.-Mexico border despite reports that Trump has humored the idea of bringing it back. [Huff Post]
- Even ICE didn’t get behind a White House plan to release detained undocumented immigrants into sanctuary cities for “political payback.” [Newsweek]
- The Trump administration’s transgender military policy began today, because apparently the United States is cool with paying for endless war but not hormone therapy is a step too far. [NBC News]
- The US has declined to nominate anyone to serve on the U.N. committee on racism which sounds par for the course for this administration. [Politico]
- Georgetown students voted to create a reparations fund for descendents of slaves that the university once owned. [New York Times]
- Lebron James for education secretary [New York Times]
This has been Barf Bag.