Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
It seems that the media is just now realizing that Donald Trump is a racist. Maybe.
- To no one’s surprise, in the aftermath of Trump’s racist “shithole countries” comments, one source told NBC that “he frequently uses that kind of language.” In an intelligence briefing last fall, Donald Trump reportedly would not accept that a Korean-American intelligence analyst was from New York City, a city for the Whites, and insisted on knowing where “your people” are from. When the analyst told him Korea, he reportedly turned to another advisor in the room to ask why the “pretty Korean lady” isn’t helping the US negotiate with North Korea. Still, NBC declined to call any of this racist, instead writing in the headline that Trump has a “history of breaking decorum with remarks on race, ethnicity.” [NBC News]
- House Speaker Paul Ryan is taking a strong stance against Trump’s racist comments (haha, he’s really not). [AP]
- Meanwhile, Donald Trump is trying to deny he called black countries “shithole countries” at all! Sen. Dick Durbin, who was there, says otherwise. [NBC News]
- After all of that, Trump had the audacity to attempt to honor Martin Luther King, Jr., as reporters asked him if he’s racist. [Business Insider]
- Michael Cohen, Donald Trump’s lawyer, reportedly paid a porn star $130,000 one month before the election to stay quiet about a sexual encounter that allegedly took place sometime after Trump married Melania. [WSJ]
- White House officials are so incompetent that they don’t know how to use the mute button. [CBS News]
- Kentucky has become the first state to require poor people to work or prepare to work in order to receive Medicaid benefits, meaning thousands will lose insurance. [Washington Post]
- The US ambassador to Panama has resigned, saying he can’t serve under Trump. [Reuters]
- On a more positive note, Dallas sheriff Lupe Valdez, a gay Latinx Democrat, is running for governor. [The Guardian]
- Don’t buy a Trump-branded condo. [Buzzfeed]
- Hardball’s Chris Matthews “joked” about his “Bill Cosby pill” before interviewing Hillary Clinton. [NYMag]
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.