Welcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Attention everyone, this big guy is takin’ the reins.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- In a surprise move that (judging from his very recent history with DACA) is very unlikely to result in anything concrete, Trump appeared to back some gun control measures that his Republican colleagues have spurned. Trump, sitting next to a smiling Sen. Dianne Feinstein, accused Republican Sen. Pat Toomey of being “afraid of the NRA” (Toomey is one of the few GOP lawmakers for whom that cannot be said, which made it particularly confusing); he also said “Take the guns first, go through due process second”—his party loved that!—and said he would give “very serious thought” to raising the age limits for buying assault weapons to 21. He also called for “comprehensive” background checks, although it’s not clear that he knows what that means. So! Take that, all you headlines that said Trump is afraid of the NRA! Big guy is not! Until tomorrow, when his press secretary inevitably begins to walk it back. [New York Times]
- Over 30 White House officials have reportedly had their interim security clearances downgraded. [Bloomberg]
- Jared is reportedly getting played by foreign government officials, who could have ever predicted? [Washington Post]
- Christine Bauserman, an Interior Department political appointee, has resigned after reports that she posted conspiracy theories and Islamophobic/anti-LGBT comments on social media. [CNN]
- As you’ll see below, the president also called his Attorney General DISGRACEFUL! on Twitter.
Here are some tweets the President was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.