Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
People around the world are donating funds to support the families of the people killed when a self-avowed white nationalist opened fire on two mosques in New Zealand.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- When asked whether he believed white nationalist ideology was growing in popularity, Trump, shockingly, said no. [Twitter]
- The victims in Friday’s horrific mass killings at two mosques in New Zealand were part of a tightknit community throughout the country that one man called the “United Nations” of ethnicities. [New York Times]
- On Friday, security was tightened at mosques around the U.S. [New York Times]
- In response to the murder of almost 50 people, Fraser Anning, an Australian elected official, released a vile, anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim statement. In it, he stated that “the real cause of bloodshed on New Zealand streets today is the immigration program which allowed Muslim fanatics to migrate to New Zealand in the first place” and added, “Let’s be clear, while Muslims may have been the victims today, usually they are the perpetrators.” Can’t wait until Anning goes to whatever hell awaits him. [Twitter]
- And it’s now being reported that the gunman had white supremacist symbols, including “the names of a Swedish child killed in a lorry attack in 2017 and a man hailed for defeating Muslims in an eighth-century battle,” on his weapons and ammunition. [The Guardian]
- In other news, Donald Trump vetoed the resolution that condemned his stupid fucking national emergency. [Politico]
- Cesar Sayoc, the Trump supporter who sent pipe bombs to a wide array of Democrats last year, will plead guilty. [New York Times]
- I’m sorry, what? Beto, a hacker? Are we living in a simulation that’s decided to reboot every single movie from the ’90s? [Reuters]
- Prediction: Amy Klobuchar gonna make Vladimir Putin eat salad with a comb. [CNN]
- A bad thing is happening in North Carolina (a virulent homophobe is running in North Carolina’s rescheduled 9th Congressional District race). [WTOP]
- A good thing is happening in Vermont (beginning as early as this summer, Vermonters will have a third option for their gender on their driver’s licenses). [Burlington Free Press]
- Because we all need a good laugh. [Twitter]
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish: