Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
“Fuck today!”— a thing I say every day, these days.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- Blaze it?
- Former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort faces a new charges of witness tampering and obstructing justice, along with his former associate, Russian citizen Konstantin Kilimnik. In the indictment, Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s team alleges that Manafort, who is under house arrest, and Kilimnik attempted to persuade potential witnesses to lie under oath in Manafort’s upcoming trials. There are still several weeks until Manafort’s first trial, which should be plenty of time for him to get into more illegal shit. [CNBC]
- James Wolfe, a former Senate Intelligence Committee aide, has been charged with lying to the FBI about communications with three reporters. To help build its case, the DOJ seized the phone and email data of New York Times reporter Ali Watkins, who was in a relationship with Wolfe–the first time the Trump administration has gone after a reporter’s records. [NYTimes]
- ICE continues to torment immigrants, sending 1,600 detainees—which include asylum seekers—to federal prisons as they await immigration hearings. [Reuters]
- Donald Trump is considering pardoning Muhammad Ali. Coming from Trump, the gesture is insulting to Ali’s memory, but even putting that aside for a second, Ali doesn’t need a pardon. The Supreme Court overturned Ali’s conviction in 1971. [NBC News]
- It’s a sad day in Ontario, where the late Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s younger brother, Doug Ford, was just elected to lead the province. Ford is basically Trump lite, with a history of misogyny whose only clear policy platforms includes tax cuts for the rich and powerful. [NYTimes]
- A protester holding a bottle of lotion interrupted EPA chief Scott Pruitt’s speech at the Faith and Freedom Conference. Bravo! [NBC News]
- Former NBA star Dennis Rodman is once again unnecessarily injecting himself into diplomacy with North Korea. Trump didn’t invite him, but Kim Jong Un’s BFF won’t miss the summit for anything. [CBS News]
- Media pundits paid tribute to Fox News analyst Charles Krauthammer, who announced today that he only has a few more weeks to live due to cancer. [The Hill]
- Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson is backing off a plan to triple the rent for the poorest Americans. [Politico]
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.