Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- Earlier today, Politico reported that Donald Trump was “fuming” over Tom Price’s expensive habit of chartering private jets for business trips. Some of the president’s advisers were reportedly calling on Price to lose his job over the scandal, which has cost taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars. Today, when asked about whether or not Price would keep his job as the head of Health and Human Services, Trump responded: “We’ll see.” “I was looking into it, and I will look into it. And I will tell you personally, I’m not happy about it,” Trump told reporters. “I am not happy about it. I’m going to look at it. I am not happy about it, and I let him know it.” [Politico]
- Shortly after, Price announced that he would reimburse taxpayers for some of the expense of his private jet adventures. “Today, I will write a personal check to the US Treasury for the expenses of my travel on private charter planes. The taxpayers won’t pay a dime for my seat on those planes,” Price said in a statement. Price noted that his travel was approved by HHS and legal. His statement was worded very carefully, noting that he would only pay for the seat and not the entire costs of the private flight. HHS spokesperson confirmed that Price will pay $51,887.31 for his seat on the flights and not the entire cost of the flight. [The Hill]
- Friends, Tom Price is a grifter.
- Jared Kushner failed to disclose a personal email account that he uses for White House business during his private meeting with the Senate Intelligence Committee. [CNN]
- Even though Graham-Cassidy failed to make it to a vote, Obamacare could still be quietly dismantled by the Trump administration. [The Atlantic]
- For example, Congress “is set to leave town without reauthorizing the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) or payments for hospitals that serve the uninsured.” [Talking Points Memo]
- Representative Steve Scalise has returned to Capitol Hill. [ABC News]
- Nancy Pelosi criticized House Republicans for pushing legislation that would further loosen restrictions on gun regulations shortly after Scalise’s return. A spokesperson for Pelosi described the Sportsmen’s Heritage and Recreational Enhancement Act, as an “NRA wishlist” not a “sportsmen’s package.” [Politico]
- Paul Ryan is still spineless. [CNN]
- Just really, truly spineless. [Fox News]
- Jon Huntsman has been named the ambassador to Russia. [NBC News]
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.