Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- Tim Ryan, one of the one million Democrats running for president, rolled out a new hashtag campaign that not so subtly calls out Bernie Sanders, who took aim at Ryan twice during Tuesday night’s CNN debates. During an exchange on climate change, Ryan—unsettled by Sanders’s tone—told Sanders, “You don’t have to yell.” Considering Sanders’s reputation for being the politician equivalent of an old man who yells at a cloud, Ryan probably thought this hashtag would be a big hit. But Ryan comes across as more of a weenie than anything for this stunt. [Twitter/@TimRyan]
- In other Tim Ryan news, people are mad because he didn’t put his hand over his heart during the National Anthem. This doesn’t actually matter—which politician is going to be brave enough to kneel—but, the optics were certainly strange. [NY Post]
- Poll shows most Americans believe Trump is racist. Cool. The real question is, do they care? [USA Today]
- The Federal Reserve has lowered interest rates for the first time since the 2008 recession. Yikes? [CNN]
- The Trump administration may end Temporary Protected Status for thousands Syrians living in the United States because cruelty is the fucking point. [ABC]
- Oh, and Senate Republicans are blocking a vote to grant Temporary Protected Status for Venezuelans who have escaped political and economic unrest and are living in the United States. [NBC]
- Audio from a 1971 phone call between President Nixon and then-Governor Reagan have just been published. In case you somehow needed to be reminded that Reagan was racist, feel free to tune in and hear Reagan refer to Africans as “monkeys.” [The Atlantic]
- I don’t know LOL.
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.