Welcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Isn’t it weird when you read something absolutely insane and you’re like, wait, is this news? Didn’t I hear that already? Don’t you feel, sometimes, like we’re being force-read an extremely obvious and cliché novel at a rate of a few sentences a week?
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- Felix Sater, a “business associate” of Trump’s with mafia ties who once got thrown in the clink for slashing a guy with a broken margarita glass, boasted in a 2015 email that he could help arrange a business deal with Putin that would get Trump elected to the presidency. Here’s something he put in writing: “Our boy can become president of the USA and we can engineer it.” [New York Times]
- Here’s the President of the United States saying he pardoned a fascist political ally during a hurricane that’s destroying the country’s 4th largest city because “I assumed the ratings would be far higher than they would be normally.” [CBS News]
- The president also appears to have confused two blonde reporters. [The Hill]
- Today was the “One Thousand Ministers March for Justice” in D.C., a multi-faith appeal to “the soul of the nation.” [Washington Post]
- Trump insists that Mexico is still paying for the border wall, while Mexico insists that they are still definitely not paying for that fucking border wall. Something Mexico is doing right now, FYI, is offering to assist with Harvey relief efforts. [Politico, The Hill]
- The Mooch is speaking at Liberty University convocation, which sounds about right. [Richmond Times-Dispatch]
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.