Welcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Ronna must draw the line somewhere, I suppose.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- The RNC has withdrawn its support and congressional Republicans are dropping like flies amidst a stream of allegations against Alabama Senate candidate and alleged child molester Roy Moore, who, in a recent report, is said by numerous locals to have hung around the Gadsden Mall as an adult man in an effort to flirt with teenage girls. “It’d seem like every Friday or Saturday night [you’d see him] walking around the mall, like the kids did,” one resident told AL.com. Thus far, however, Moore has remained defiantly committed to staying on the ballot, because a person who doesn’t seem to enjoy following the law is certainly not going to be bothered by Mitch McConnell. [Al.com, New Yorker, Politico]
- So far, the confusing and deeply boring nature of congressional Republicans’ efforts to steal from the poor and give to the rich via tax “reform” has provided a shield, of sorts, from the level of public outrage they faced over their multiple failed attempts to repeal Obamacare. We’ll see if that sticks: the Senate GOP’s tax plan, in addition to boldly catering to the rich, now includes a repeal of Obamacare’s individual mandate—a move that would kick 13 million Americans off health insurance by 2027. [New York Times]
- Trump ate SHARK FIN SOUP at a state dinner in Vietnam. [HuffPost]
- Okay—if not animal rights, perhaps at least our president brought up human rights during his Asia visit, in particular concerning extrajudicial killings in the Philippines or ethnic cleansing in Myanmar? No? Of course not. [Washington Post]
- Oh yeah, and Trump is pressuring the Justice Department to investigate Hillary Clinton, his political rival, which is something that presidents of democratic countries don’t do. But here we are! [New York Times]
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.