Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
The government shutdown continued through the first week of the new year, and the president is having a great time. In other news, it’s the first weekend of the new year; make it count.
- Senator Chuck Schumer said that President Trump threatened to make the government shutdown go on for years if congressional Democrats and Republicans don’t approve a budget deal that would give him his racist border wall. In a press conference, Trump said that he might declare a “national emergency” and get the wall built “really quickly.” [Politico, Twitter, The Hill, NBC News]
- Poor people are the ones hit hardest by the government shutdown, which shouldn’t be news to anyone who’s been paying attention. The Department of Housing and Urban Development hasn’t been able to perform health and safety checks in low-income homes, which are mandatory, and rent assistance is still coming in, for now, but it’s unclear exactly how long that will continue while the government remains closed. [NBC News]
- Another downstream effect of the shutdown: You might not get your tax refund, still have to pay taxes. [Wall Street Journal]
- Medicaid expansion is finally coming to Maine, thanks to a new governor. [CNN]
- Ivanka Trump is accused of violating conflict-of-interest laws by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington. The watchdog group says she may have acted in her or Jared Kushner’s own financial interest by working on legislation that gives tax breaks to those who invest in underserved communities. [CNN]
- Let’s check in on all those hotels Eric and Donald Trump Jr. said they would help build; oh, okay, things are going horribly (for them and their hotels). [Washington Post]
- The Supreme Court will take on two gerrymandering cases. [HuffPost]
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand might run in 2020. [CNBC]
- Representative Pramila Jayapal and Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez are co-sponsoring legislation to repeal PAYGO. Fuck off, PAYGO! [Twitter, Twitter]
This has been Barf Bag.