Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Well, sap me of my life force and push me down the stairs—it’s time for this shit again!
- Anti-government militia the Oath Keepers have promised to protest outside of California Rep. Maxine Waters’ offices. The move comes in response to Waters urging people to continue confronting members of the Trump administration responsible for the “zero-tolerance” policy separating families at the U.S.-Mexico border in public, as individuals have done to Sarah Huckabee Sanders and Stephen Miller. [Southern Poverty Law Center]
- Trump-owned businesses made tens of thousands of dollars during the President’s trip to his Scotland golf course and resort last week. Did I mention the trip was taxpayer-funded? [Twitter, @annalecta]
- Paul Ryan has quashed a proposed vote on whether to abolish Immigration and Customs Enforcement. The vote was reportedly intended to make Democrats look bad—voting for the abolition of ICE could make them lose swing votes this fall while voting against the abolition could demoralize their left-leaning base. Fearing Democrats would find a way around this Catch 22 of consequences and come out on top, Ryan has scrapped it. [Politico]
- The Atlantic and the Public Religion Research Institute have released a study about the disenfranchisement of Black and Latinx voters and the barriers these groups disproportionately face at the polls. [The Atlantic]
- Witnesses report seeing migrant children separated from their families and detained under the DOJ’s “zero-tolerance” border policy bathing in sinks at an Arizona office building. [Reveal]
- Following the U.S. District Court for the District of Puerto Rico’s decision last April, Puerto Rico will begin issuing gender-affirming birth certificates to trans residents. [Lambda Legal]
This has been Barf Bag.