Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Shit gets weirder and weirder every day.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- Trump can’t get his story straight about whether he knows or doesn’t know Matt Whitaker, the man he has appointed to replace Jeff Sessions as acting attorney general. On Friday, speaking to reporters before getting on a plane to Paris, he said he didn’t know him. They’ve actually met several times and dude has been critical of Robert Mueller’s investigation into whether Russia interfered with the 2016 election. [NPR, Twitter]
- Whitaker, meanwhile, has locked his account on Twitter, where he’s allegedly talked shit about Mueller before. His cover photo is still dumb as hell. [Twitter, Matt Whitaker’s Twitter]
- Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke is expecting to be fired any day now, and is reportedly eyeing employment opportunities at Fox News, although both Zinke and the news network deny there has any discussion about that. [Politico, Talking Points Memo]
- Some good news: A federal judge has said no to the Trump’s administration proposed Keystone XL oil pipeline, citing climate change reasons. [New York Times]
- Stacey Abrams has still not conceded the race for Georgia governor to Brian Kemp, who declared himself the winner and is moving forward full-steam ahead. Abrams, meanwhile, is preparing for a runoff election. There are several other senate, gubernatorial, and congressional races that are still too close to call. [AP, NBC News]
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish: