Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- Hallelujah, with caution: the Senate’s not repealing Obamacare anytime soon, because they were unable to publicly face up to the fact that Obamacare actually follows a conservative model and you can’t really get more conservative and still provide people with affordable health care plans and ACTUALLY, “only rich people get to not die” is not a popular policy platform. So, the BRCA is dead as of Monday after four GOP senators moved to block it; today, McConnell’s dumbshit last-ditch effort to repeal and then replace Obamacare two years later, which would likely lead to collapsing marketplaces across the country and amount to essentially a political suicide note, has also failed, although he is still determined to hold a vote on it. Three women senators in the GOP were instrumental in kneecapping this dungpile, which the bleating misogynists on their side of the political spectrum were quick to note. [New York Times, Vox]
- Planned Parenthood head Cecile Richards, meanwhile, makes a good point. [Twitter]
- Hey, good thing the president totally understands what just happened and has a great 2018 strategy! “We’re not going to own it. I’m not going to own it. I can tell you the Republicans are not going to own it,” Trump said. “In ’18, we’re going to have to get some more people elected. We have to go out and get more people elected that are Republicans.” Also: “Let Obamacare fail.” [Washington Post, Politico]
- The eighth person in the now infamous Trump Tower meeting has been ID’d as Ike Kaveladze, a US-based employee of a Russian real estate company. [Washington Post]
- Back in spring 2016, Steve Bannon reportedly called Paul Ryan “a limp-dick motherfucker who was born in a petri dish at the Heritage Foundation,” which is... pretty good, actually. [HuffPost]
- Dreamers in the military (and everywhere else) are afraid they’ll be deported after the Trump administration indicated they might abandon DACA. [McClatchy]
- Documentary filmmaker Leslie Cockburn, Olivia Wilde’s mom, is running for office. [CBS19]
- Look at these baby lions, okay?
Here are some tweets the President was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.