Welcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
I’m just gonna say it again—Space...Force...????
- The Trump re-election campaign wants you to vote for your favorite logo for the dumbest idea ever. [Twitter]
- Melania Trump’s parents—who were sponsored for their green cards by their daughter, a method reviled by their son-in-law as “chain migration”—became US citizens today. [CNN]
- Tariffs on newsprint from Canada are forcing local papers across the US to cut costs. One enemy of the people—excuse me, newspaper—has already shut down due in part to the tariffs. [New York Times]
- Several ICE raids yesterday targeted the workplaces of undocumented workers in Minnesota and Nebraska; more than 100 workers were detained. [Washington Post]
- Medicare-for-All is “not a pipe dream,” said Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. [The Hill]
- Thousands of Americans are sensibly calling for Education Secretary Betsy DeVos to be replaced by LeBron James. I endorse! [ABC News]
- Michael Moore who is apparently still relevant is coming out with a new documentary on the Trump administration, and you can now watch the trailer if you so desire. [Deadline]
- Corey Stewart, the Republican running for Senate in Virginia, has some preeettttttty racist views, as a video of him defending the Confederacy at a 2017 event makes pretty clear: “And if the established order is wrong, we rebel. We did that in the Revolution, we did it in the Civil War, and we’re doing it today. We’re doing it today because they’re trying to rob us of everything that we hold dear: our history, our heritage, our culture.” [CNN]
- In leaked audio of California Republican and chair of the House Intelligence Committee Devin Nunes, he states that Republicans need to maintain control of the House in order to protect Trump from the Russia investigation. [MSNBC]
- The Army has temporarily stopped discharging immigrant recruits who enlisted as part of a program that would offer them citizenship. [AP]
- A judge has temporarily blocked the deportation of asylum seekers, dealing a blow to Attorney General Jeff Sessions—something that never fails to put a smile on my face!!! [CNN]
- Kris Kobach’s lead in the Kansas gubernatorial race has shrunk to just 91 votes. [Huffington Post]
- Did you know that the KKK’s secret handbook is called the Kloran??? [Mother Jones]
- A Florida program that helps children who are bullied in school switch to private schools essentially excludes LGBT students, who just so happen to often be the targets of bullying and harassment. [Huffington Post]
This has been Barf Bag.