Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Take care of yourselves.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- While testifying at a Senate hearing on sexual assault in the military, Senator Martha McSally revealed that a superior officer raped her during her time on the Air Force. She did not name her alleged assailant and she said she did not report the alleged assault because she thought the system wouldn’t handle it properly. “I was horrified at how my attempt to share generally my experiences was handled,” she said, adding that “Like many victims, I felt like the system was raping me all over again.” [Associated Press]
- Fox News will not air any of the 12 scheduled candidate debates; this is how the Democratic National Committee gets back at them for being bad. How will those viewers become informed citizens now? [Axios]
- Representative Rashida Tlaib still wants to impeach the motherfucker. [CNN]
- Arlington County will give Amazon $23 million in incentives for setting up shop in Virginia so long as it uses enough office space. Local organizers have been pressuring the county to pressure Amazon into paying fair wages or donating to affordable housing funds—but the county board says it was never going to put those “asks” in the proposed incentive agreement. [Washington Post]
- A Florida state senator wanted to ban plastic straws. What actually happened is the Senate passed a bill making it illegal to ban plastic straws for five years, and a study to confirm banning plastic straws is the right move. Gotta love bureaucracy! [Miami Herald]
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.