Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Hot girl summer is canceled for RBG.
- Remember the other day when Ruth Bader Ginsburg sneered in the faces of those who predicted her death and that was kind of cool? Well here’s something that sucks: at an event at Duke Law School, a professor lamented that, “nominees for the Supreme Court are not chosen primarily anymore for independence, legal ability, [and] personal decency” anymore. Ginsburg countered his characterization and said, “My two newest colleagues [Justice Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh] are very decent, very smart individuals.” Yeah, okay, sis. I bet Christine Blasey-Ford disagrees, but go off. [Business Insider]
- In petty news: Bill de Blasio was not invited to Kirsten Gillibrand’s September 11th Victims Fund press conference. [Politico]
- Russians targeted election systems in every state. Cool. Great. [New York Times]
- Trump says that Sweden has let the “African-American community down” by failing to release A$AP Rocky from a Swedish jail. He also tweeted that the United States does “so much” for Sweden. Naturally, he failed to elaborate! [CNN]
- Also on the A$AP front, Pete Buttigieg thinks it’s great that Trump is trying to free Rocky and everything, but maintains that the president is still shit for black Americans on the whole. Buttigieg perhaps isn’t in the best place, politically, to discuss state violence against black Americans right now but he’s also... not wrong! [TMZ]
- Good news: a funding deal has blocked ICE from arresting adults who have taken in undocumented children. [San Francisco Chronicle]
- Nancy Pelosi says there ain’t beef between her and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Sure! [Politico]
- The Republican challenging Ilhan Omar’s congressional seat was once charged with felony theft and seems otherwise like a real wild character. [Guardian]
This has been Barf Bag.