Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
It’s Friday. That’s... something?
- House Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte’s very bad immigration bill did not pass the House on Thursday. Though the House is planning to vote on another, more moderate (but still not good!) bill next week, now Donald Trump is saying to hell with it all, saying the GOP should wait until after November’s midterm elections. Meanwhile, he has already enforced a very extreme immigration policy at the border that detains families indefinitely. [Politico]
- Twenty-five diplomats in Cuba’s U.S. Embassy have fallen mysteriously ill since late 2016. The State Department is investigating who might be who or what might be behind the suspected attacks. [New York Times]
- Internet media company IAC has withdrawn advertising from Laura Ingraham’s Fox News program after she described child detention centers as “essentially like summer camps” and “boarding schools.” [Politico]
- Comedian Tom Arnold—a man who claims to have recordings of Donald Trump saying “using the N-word, using the C-word, calling his son [intellectually disabled]” yet didn’t release them before the election—is reportedly working with former Trump lawyer Michael Cohen to release Cohen’s tapes for a new Vice show called The Hunt for the Trump Tapes. Cohen is under investigation by federal prosecutors as part of the Russia probe. [NBC News]
- Nobody wants to date racist Trump officials. Sad! [Politico Magazine]
- Saudi Arabia has issued 10 women licenses days before lifting its ban on women drivers. [CBS News]
- An emergency physician describes meeting an eight-year-old child, separated from his family, in detention at the Texas border: “This boy seemed devastated—quiet and withdrawn. He barely spoke. I asked if he needed a hug. I kneeled down in front of the recliner, and this kid just threw himself into my arms and didn’t let go. He cried and I cried.” [New Yorker]
- Rhode Island’s state senate has passed a bill that would keep Donald Trump and Mike Pence off voting ballots unless they release their tax returns. The bill requires presidential candidates to release their tax returns for the past five years. [Providence Journal]
- The man who runs Southwest Key Programs Inc—the non-profit that runs several migrant detention centers—earns makes $1.5 million a year. [CNN]
- A border patrol agent says that the viral photo of a Honduran girl crying, which has become the face of Trump’s inhumane policies, was not separated from her family at the border. However, CBS couldn’t determine where the girl is now. [CBS News]
- Canada detains migrant children, too—around 182 per year—and it needs to stop. [Star Metro Vancouver]
- Groundwater in several military bases across the country is toxic and contaminated, and the Trump administration tried to cover it up. [New Republic]
- Melania Trump’s stylist Hervé Pierre says he had never seen the Zara jacket that said “I REALLY DON’T CARE, DO U?” before. Presumably because Melania doesn’t usually shop at Zara! [Women’s Wear Daily]
- Jimena Valencia Madrid, the detained six-year-old girl whose screams were heard on a recording released by ProPublica, is being held in Phoenix. Her mother is detained in Port Isabel, TX. [ProPublica]
This has been Barf Bag.