The good news about me accidentally looking at the sun today is that about 9 million other fucking morons seem to have done the same thing. Including the president, natch. Please leave me alone.
- Republican committees and groups including the RNC, congressional campaigns, and the Republican Governors Association have shelled out a total of almost $1.3 million to Trump-owned businesses this year. [Washington Post]
- Assuming he will be able to read after looking directly at the sun earlier today, the president is reportedly making an announcement tonight about an Afghanistan strategy that involves keeping troops on the ground. Unless he changes his mind on a whim, which is apparently a possibility. [The Daily Beast]
- Mitch McConnell’s approval rating back home in Kentucky is at 18 percent. [The Hill]
- A New York Police Department union is sounding off against “blue racism,” a thing that does not exist, you see, because “blue,” like “police officer,” is not a race (not even in remote Appalachia, where—fun fact!—there have been known to be actual blue people). But words have no meaning anymore, didn’t you hear? “They don’t even label me based on being African American, Latino, Asian, Caucasian and so on,” a voiceover in a video released by the Seargents Benevolent Association. “They tend to see an even broader stereotype through an even more racist lens. When they look at me, they see blue.” [HuffPost]
- Breitbart has lost almost 2,600 advertisers. [The Independent]
- The University of Texas removed four Confederate statues last night. [Washington Post]
- The Interior Department, helmed by our favorite vacationing cowboy, has ordered the National Academy of Sciences to stop researching the potential health effects of mountaintop removal. [The Hill]
- The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee has raised $30 million in online donations so far in 2017, a record-breaking amount. [The Hill]
This has been Barf Bag.