It would be nice to not wake up horrified. Just once!
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- According to a new report from Politico, Trump’s tweeted out ban on transgender individuals in the military was swiftly concocted as a way to solve a standoff over paying for transgender troops’ medical care in the House, a conflict that was threatening the passage of a spending bill packed with Trump campaign promises, including border wall funding. According to sources, when Defense Secretary Mattis didn’t immediately oblige House Republicans on their discriminatory wishes, they went around him to Trump, whose tweets went far beyond what they were hoping for—nobody was talking about an outright ban on trans individuals in the military. “This is like someone told the White House to light a candle on the table and the WH set the whole table on fire,” a senior House Republican aide told Politico. According to Politico sources, Mattis was pissed; it remains unclear which, if any, “Generals and military experts” Trump actually consulted. It also remains unclear what, exactly, will happen to the trans people currently serving in the military. [Politico]
- The announcement was, to varying degrees, not well-received by several Republican lawmakers, including Armed Services Committee chairman John McCain, Florida Rep. Thomas Toomey, Army veteran Sen. Joni Ernst, Sen. Lindsey Graham, Sen. Richard Shelby, and Sen. Orrin Hatch. [Washington Post]
- “At the Pentagon, the first of the three tweets raised fears that the president was getting ready to announce strikes on North Korea or some other military action. Many said they were left in suspense for nine minutes, the time between the first and second tweet. Only after the second tweet did military officials receive the news the president was announcing a personnel change on Twitter.” COOL. [BuzzFeed]
- As it turns out, the Pentagon pays 10 times more on erectile dysfunction medication than transgender health services. [The Hill]
- Rep. Steve Scalise, who was shot six weeks ago, has been discharged from the hospital to begin “intensive inpatient rehabilitation.” [Politico]
- Well, I’ll be: Trump’s new head of the Office of Government Ethics, replacing Walter M. Shaub, doesn’t seem to be a huge fan of ethics. [New York Times]
- According to a Politico/Morning Consult poll, half of Trump voters think he won the popular vote. [Politico]
- Oh look, Andrew Cuomo is doing something fucked up again. [New York Times]
Here are some tweets the President was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.