Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- Nothing to see here, just a story about Trump wanting to declare a national emergency to build a border wall, excuse me, steel slats. In response, House Judiciary Committee chair Jerry Nadler, perhaps preparing himself for the season premiere of Game of Thrones, said, “We will oppose any effort by the president to make himself a king and a tyrant. The president has no authority to usurp Congress’s power of the purse.” [Washington Post]
- In related news filed under “Medieval Times,” Paul Manafort has gout, which we learned from documents that were submitted by his defense attorneys in federal court. [Twitter]
- Also, since Manafort’s attorneys didn’t adequately redact details in the court filings, we also learned that he lied about sharing polling data with an alleged Russian intelligence operative. Oops! [Associated Press]
- Natalya Veselnitskaya, the Russian lawyer who met with the Trump campaign in 2016 after Don Jr. was promised damaging information on Hillary Clinton, has been charged by federal prosecutors in a money laundering case. [CNN]
- The toll of the government shutdown continues: it’s now impacting some of Trump’s pet projects, like the announcement of a rule “allowing drones to fly over people” (what) and the rollback of environmental protections. [Politico]
- The shutdown also means that Trump’s program to support farmers hurt by his trade war with China is temporarily stalled. [Washington Post]
- Describing Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez as having “penetrated the national consciousness” is the only thing that redeems this incredibly idiotic op-ed that also compares Ocasio-Cortez to... Sarah Palin. [Washington Post]
- California Senator Kamala Harris said she’s “not going to decide right now” whether to run for president. Her memoir, titled The Truths We Hold is out today, so yeah, she’s definitely running. [Good Morning America/Associated Press]
- Is this real? Fake? Who knows! But the only question I have is: Rosario, why??? [New York Post]
- House Democrats introduced a bill that would expand background checks to include people who buy guns online, at retail stores, as well as at gun shows. [ABC News]
- I’ve found my dream job!!! [Twitter]
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.