Welcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Read on to learn who’s getting rich from the pain of immigrant kids.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- Private contractors are raking in $1 billion from the U.S. government to imprison immigrant children, a 1,000 percent increase since 2007. [AP]
- Even people fleeing gang violence and domestic abuse will no longer qualify for asylum. [CNN]
- Known racist John Schnatter of Papa John’s steps down as chairman of his third-rate pizza chain after making extremely racist comment. Bye! [NPR]
- Elon Musk, who also offered to help save the 12 boys trapped in a cave in Thailand that eventually were rescued without his assistance, has now turned his sights on fixing the water crisis in Flint, Michigan. [The Hill]
- U.S. Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh looooooooves the dissenting opinion of then-Justice William Rehnquist in Roe v. Wade, as he stated in a speech he made last year before the American Enterprise Institute. [Bloomberg]
- Meanwhile, Democratic Senator Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin (a state that voted for Trump), announced she would not vote to confirm the Supreme Court nominee. [The Star Tribune]
- Chinese government accuses U.S. of being an “an enemy to all” in the escalating trade war. Not... false...? [Politico]
- Check out Paul Manafort’s new mugshot! [NBCNews]
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.