Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
I drank five cans of Diet Dr. Pepper today and I don’t feel great! How was your day?
- This is nauseating. [Twitter]
- Lifelong Republican and former Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens doesn’t think Kavanaugh should be on the Supreme Court. “I feel his performance in the hearings ultimately changed my mind,” Stevens said. [Palm Beach Post]
- More Russian intelligence officials (aka “spies”) have been indicted by the Justice Department for hacking, this time over attacks against several anti-doping and sports groups. [Politico]
- Don Jr., stand-up comic: “In this week in particular, you’re not allowed to have a beer if you are a conservative! Now if you’re a liberal, you can do cocaine and you can be the president, but that’s okay!” [Fox 10 Phoenix YouTube]
- Once again, I feel compelled to say, fuck you, Betsy. [Politico]
- A judge in San Francisco has issued a temporary injunction against the Trump administration’s move to end Temporary Protected Status for immigrants from Sudan, Nicaragua, Haiti, and El Salvador. [NBC News]
- In other immigration news that I’m sure has Stephen Miller gritting his teeth and now I’m smiling, more than 750,000 immigrants became U.S. citizens during Trump’s second year in office—the highest number since 2013. [Washington Post]
- Despite Twitter’s supposed crackdown on fake accounts, a new report has found that more than 80 percent of what it termed “disinformation campaign” accounts are still active. The second-most important thing I learned from this article—Jack has a nose ring?! [NPR]
- People are (rightly!) being rude to Senator Rand Paul and his wife Kelley is MAD and not having it and once again I ask myself, why do women get married at all? [CNN]
- In more “rich people love tax dodging” news, it turns out that very rich man JB Pritzker, who is the Democratic nominee for governor in Illinois, removed five toilets from one of his mansions so that it would be classified as “uninhabitable,” thus lowering its assessed value. This was, by the way, a second mansion he owned that was right next door to the actual mansion he and his wife lived in. [NPR]
- A certain dark corner of Twitter spent today making fun of a new cartoon released by the Department of Defense but I’m more concerned that the DoD’s new website lists “lethality” and building “a more lethal force” as one of its priorities!!! [Mother Jones/Department of Defense]
- Senator Patrick Leahy woke up really feeling himself today. I can’t relate but I approve. [Twitter]
This has been Barf Bag.