Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Remember when weeks and weeks would go by without a high-stakes congressional hearing?
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- A highly classified NSA report obtained by The Intercept described a cyberattack waged against at least one U.S. voting software supplier as well as spear-fishing emails sent to over 100 local election officials days before election day. “‘It is unknown,’ the NSA notes, ‘whether the aforementioned spear-phishing deployment successfully compromised the intended victims, and what potential data could have been accessed by the cyber actor.’” The Department of Justice has arrested the federal contractor who is believed to have leaked the document. [The Intercept, Mediaite/NBC]
- The White House says that Trump will not invoke executive privilege to stop James Comey from publicly testifying on Thursday. [Washington Post]
- Trump undermined his own lawyers’ case for his “travel ban” yet again. [New York Times]
- According to a new Washington Post/ABC News poll, nearly 6 in 10 Americans oppose the U.S. exiting the Paris Agreement. Multiple takeaways here, but I’m gonna go with a positive: it’s possible that a majority of Americans are not total fucking ding-dongs. [Washington Post]
- The acting U.S. ambassador to China—if you’ll recall, Trump hasn’t really appointed anyone to these positions—has resigned after the White House pulled out of the Paris Accord. [CNN]
- The Trump White House would like to privatize air traffic control. [Washington Post]
- McMaster, Tillerson, and Mattis had all worked to include a statement supporting the mutual defense pledge in Trump’s now-infamous NATO speech, which Trump reportedly decided to drop at the last minute—reaffirming the notion that the president will in fact do whatever stupid shit he wants and no one is empowered to stop him. [Politico]
- This kid is freaking chill!!!! [The Village Green]
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.