Gun control! Somewhere!
New Jersey’s Democratic governor, Phil Murphy, will sign six bills into law on Wednesday, many of them measures that were proposed following the school shooting in Parkland, Florida that left 17 people dead. Some of the other measures were older and ignored by New Jersey’s previous governor, Republican and expert beach hogger Chris Christie.
Here’s a breakdown of the bills on Murphy’s desk today, from NJ.com:
- A1217, which would create restraining orders in the state allowing family members and others to ask a judge to have a person’s guns seized and ban them from buying weapons for up to a year.
- A1181, which would mandate law enforcement in the state to seize a person’s guns if a mental health professional determines they pose a threat to themselves or others.
- A2758, which would strictly define that state residents need to show a “justifiable need” to obtain a permit to carry a handgun — meaning they must show they face a specific threat to their own safety.
- A2757, which would require all private gun sales in the state to go through a licensed dealer who can perform an additional background check at the point of sale.
- A2759, which would create an outright ban in the state on possessing armor-piercing bullets.
- A2761, which would ban magazines in the state that hold more than 10 rounds, with some exceptions.
New Jersey is just one of a handful of states, including Florida and Oregon, that have changed their gun laws following the Parkland shooting. States with tighter gun laws experience fewer firearm related deaths, which is common sense and a pretty good reason to enact these laws. And yet! Good for New Jersey! I hope the NRA doesn’t sue them.