Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Thank you for being a friend.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- In case you missed it: There was some bad lending-guns-to-your-friends discourse on Twitter on Wednesday. First, Republican Congressman Dan Crenshaw got into an argument with Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez after she responded with alarm to Crenshaw’s suggestion that requiring background checks for gun purchases puts more people in danger. “With universal background checks, I wouldn’t be able to let my friends borrow my handgun when they travel alone,” Crenshaw said. And then this happened:
- Somehow, it got worse:
- Hong Kong’s leader announced that she will withdraw the extradition bill that prompted the protests that dominated the region this summer, which would have been even better news a few months ago. [New York Times]
- The Trump administration is raiding military construction projects to build the president’s fantasy border wall. The military isn’t happy about it! [Politico]
- Here’s Elizabeth Warren’s climate plan (it looks a lot like Jay Inslee’s)! [New York Times]
- A North Carolina court ruled that the state’s gerrymandering is unconstitutional and that districts must be redrawn—a win for voting-rights advocates. [Washington Post]
- Uh, so the State Department reportedly offered millions of dollars to the captain of an Iranian oil tanker and tried to get him to divert the ship to a country where the United States could seize the ship. Wild shit. [Financial Times]
- Stormy Daniels says she’s ready to testify under oath, baby! [NBC News]
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.