Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Thank you, Mitch McConnell, for electing our first black president.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- Mitch McConnell told a reporter that there’s no need for reparations for slavery, because “no one currently alive was responsible for that”—even though slavery’s repercussions are still present today... and immigrants have experienced discrimination too... which has nothing to do with unpaid labor during chattel slavery. But McConnell’s most baffling justification of his anti-reparations stance was, “we elected an African-American president.” One, LOL. Two, McConnell is not even part of that “we.” And for that, I’d like McConnell to personally hand over my reparations check.
- President Trump says that ICE will be arresting and deporting millions of undocumented immigrants starting next week. He is, predictably, giddy. [CNN]
- In other Trump news, he has no regrets over saying the Central Park Five should be executed, despite DNA evidence that exonerates them. It’s safe to say that he’ll never change his (wrong) mind, so why bother asking him about it at this point?
- The Orlando Sentinel, a newspaper that usually endorses Republicans, does not endorse Trump for re-election in 2020 and urges their readers to support literally any Democrat running instead of him. Whew! [Orlando Sentinel]
- The Mercers, Trump’s biggest financial donors in 2016, have some regrets... [Vanity Fair]
- The US continues to be thirsty for war with Iran. [AP]
- Joe Biden went to Stonewall and pretended to know a lil somethin’ about the gay rights movement:
- The New York State Senate approved a bill that allows undocumented immigrants to obtain a driver’s license. [New York Times]
- Jared Kushner’s pet project, the First Step Act, is shitty to imprisoned immigrants. [Marshall Project]
- Hold on to your butts, we might be gearing up for another recession. [Washington Post]
- A South Bend cop involved in a fatal shooting apparently didn’t have his body cam on, claims the man he shot wouldn’t drop his knife. Convenient! [South Bend Tribune]
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez had some time today:
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.