Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Warm days, cold nights, late October. Have you heard my favorite new Mariah Carey song? It’s good.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- I’m not sure what we are supposed to make of this: Asked about the man behind the explosive devices sent to various Democratic officials and public figures critical of Donald Trump this week, the president said he “heard he was a person who preferred me over others.” What does that string of words possibly mean? Who is covered by “others”? “Preferred”? I’ll think this over as I cry myself to sleep tonight. [Washington Post]
- The New York attorney general’s office will have to wait to find out about next steps in its lawsuit against President Trump regarding the use of his charitable foundation’s funds, as a judge waits to hear if a sitting president can even face a civil lawsuit. [CNN]
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand said that, if re-elected, she will serve her six-year term, meaning she won’t run for president in 2020. Or she’s lying. [The Hill]
- Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen says that U.S. military does not “have any intention right now to shoot at” those in the migrant caravan approaching the U.S.’s southern border. That “right now” feels pertinent. [Politico]
- Caitlyn Jenner regrets believing Trump would stand up for trans rights. [Politico]
- Iowa Representative Steve King reportedly met with a virulently anti-immigrant group founded by a former Nazi. The trip was funded by a Holocaust memorial group. I’m sure there’s a perfectly reasonable explanation! [Washington Post]
- Putin may visit the White House at the top of next year, for the first time since 2005. [Politico]
- The question of whether climate change is real still lingers over the North Carolina congressional race between Dan McCready and Mark Harris, in a district that was hit by two hurricanes since September. [ThinkProgress]
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.