Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
It’s Thursday, I’m vaping, what are you doing?
- Trump is being a big baby and told House Republicans he wouldn’t sign a spending bill that would prevent a government shutdown if it doesn’t include funding for his border wall, which as a helpful reminder, the majority of Americans think is a fucking dumb idea. [New York Times]
- But some idiots still reaaaaally want a wall. [Politico]
- More terrible immigration news: in a major shift that will likely be challenged in the courts, the Trump administration announced a plan, agreed to by the Mexican government, that would force asylum seekers who crossed the border to return to Mexico while their claims are processed. [Washington Post]
- And even more awful news: the father of Jakelin Caal, the 7-year-old girl who died while in custody of Customs and Border Protection, says that he and his daughter were not given water during the eight hours they were being held in a CBP facility. [Washington Post]
- Another bad man who to his credit has maybe saved us from nuclear war (!?!) is leaving the Trump administration. Defense secretary Jim Mattis will retire in February. [CNN]
- Acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker was told by a senior DOJ ethics official to recuse himself from overseeing the Mueller probe, but he, alas, did not. [Washington Post]
- How federal regulators failed to prevent an epidemic of black lung disease among coal miners in Appalachia. [Frontline/NPR]
- Alexandria, we love you, but please read a fun book!!! [Twitter]
- Help. [Twitter]
This has been Barf Barf.