Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Another lovely day in the bullshit mines.
- The Justice Department under elfin extremist Jeff Sessions has brought back a policy that allows law enforcement to take the property and money from suspected criminals, a policy that was, just like it sounds, unbelievably fucked up. Criminal justice reform had been becoming an area of bipartisan agreement before the Trump administration lumbered in, and few on either side of the aisle wanted this to happen—the Kochs, who essentially run the GOP, happen to support criminal justice reform. And yet it continues to seem as though there is nothing Jeff Sessions loves more than an outdated and universally panned policy that disproportionately targets communities of color. [New York Times]
- Oh hey there, a bunch of #resistance Democrats are joining Republicans in backing two preeeetty unconstitutional-seeming bills in the House and Senate that would prohibit U.S. companies and individuals from participating in any boycott against Israel and/or its settlements, which are widely considered illegal—a measure that, the Intercept notes, was drafted in part by AIPAC. (This legislative partnership between liberal lawmakers and a lobbying organization that aggressively supported Israel’s far-right wing Prime Minister over Obama is not new.) A letter released last night by the ACLU asserts that “the government cannot, consistent with the First Amendment, punish U.S. persons based solely on their expressed political beliefs,” noting that violations would be subject to a minimum civil penalty of $250,000 and a maximum criminal penalty of $1 million and 20 years in prison. Uhhhhhhhh? [The Intercept, JTA, ACLU]
- Kris Kobach, architect of the Trump administration’s fraudulent voter fraud investigation, said “we may never know” if Hillary Clinton won the popular vote, a result that was certified by Congress. Another thing we may never know is whether Kris Kobach’s insides are comprised of scrap metal and headless dolls—life, it’s such a mystery. [HuffPost]
- Senate Republicans are meeting tonight to try and revive their healthcare bill; unclear if Melisandre and the Lord of Light were included on that email chain. [Politico]
- Trump stopped arming Syrian rebels, coincidentally a thing that Putin very much wanted him to do. [Washington Post]
- In case you forgot that Gov. Andrew Cuomo is a nightmare idiot! [Politico]
This has been Barf Bag.