Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
I’m tired. Relatedly, I did not have any Diet Dr. Pepper today.
- Joe Biden, who officially announced his presidential run today, called Anita Hill earlier this month to make an extremely overdue apology for her he treated her during the Senate confirmation hearings of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas. Hill, understandably and rightfully so, remains unmoved by Biden’s decades-late mea culpa. “I cannot be satisfied by simply saying I’m sorry for what happened to you. I will be satisfied when I know there is real change and real accountability and real purpose,” Hill told the New York Times. She continued: “The focus on apology to me is one thing. But he needs to give an apology to the other women and to the American public because we know now how deeply disappointed Americans around the country were about what they saw. And not just women. There are women and men now who have just really lost confidence in our government to respond to the problem of gender violence.” [New York Times]
- Symone Sanders, Bernie Sanders’s former press secretary, is now working for Joe Biden? [The Daily Beast]
- The worst campaign news of the day, to me, personally:
- White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders, who hasn’t held an actual press briefing for 46 days, held a “briefing” today for kids, in honor of Take Your Sons and Daughters to Work Day. Naturally Vice President Mike Pence used the opportunity to blatantly lie to our nation’s children. Pence was “asked how many vacation days he and other White House officials get in a year.” “We work with a president who never stops working,” Pence replied. The response of one child? “That’s weird.”[Bloomberg]
- The Trump administration is reportedly planning to introduce regulations that would remove health care protections for trans Americans. [CNN]
- A judge in Massachusetts was charged with obstruction for allegedly allowing an undocumented immigrant who was appearing before her slip out of the courthouse, in order to allow him to avoid an Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent that was waiting to arrest him. [NPR]
- This also happened today:
- According to an employee at Twitter, using an algorithm-driven content filter to get rid of white supremacist content would lead to getting rid of some Republicans’ accounts. I’m shocked. [Motherboard]
- Americans are really stressed out!!!!!!!! [New York Times]
This has been Barf Bag.