Welcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Anyway, speaking of Joe Arpaio...
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- Today, Jeff Sessions reminded us—as he has done many, many times before—that he is a proud white supremacist. This doesn’t do a lot to blunt the lunacy of the following quote: “The office of sheriff is a critical part of the Anglo-American heritage of law enforcement,” the Attorney General of the United States told the National Sheriffs’ Association. It sure is! And what a stunning heritage. [NBC]
- Donald Trump, Jr.’s wife Vanessa was hospitalized on Monday after opening an envelope containing white powder. The powder was later determined to be benign. [HuffPost]
- Trump’s budget proposal for 2019 adds $7 trillion to the deficit and eliminates the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the Institute of Museum and Library Services, the National Endowment for the Arts, the Chemical Safety Board, and more. [New York Times, The Hill]
- The Senate’s free-for-all immigration debate has commenced. [ABC]
- The Trump administration has proposed repealing the majority of an Obama-era rule designed to minimize leaks of methane, a powerful greenhouse gas. [The Hill]
- Scott Pruitt, meanwhile, spent $1,641.43 on a first-class seat for a very short flight from D.C. to New York City. I’m so glad someone is having fun, aren’t you? [Washington Post]
- Did you guys know that Ben and Candy Carson share a Twitter account?
Here are some tweets the President was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.