Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Make it clap for democracy.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions continued his decades-long efforts to intimidate voters of color who dare to show up at the polls. On Monday, he announced that the Justice Department will monitor “compliance with the federal voting rights laws” at 35 voting locations in 19 states on Tuesday and will implement “every lawful tool that we have, both civil and criminal, to protect the rights of millions of Americans to cast their vote.” Voter fraud is a myth created by white lawmakers, and perpetuated by Republicans like Sessions, as a means to intimidate black people from turning up at the polls. [The Hill]
- NBC, Fox, and Facebook will stop running that racist Trump ad. A little late! [New York Times]
- Donald Trump blames #MeToo for no longer being able to talk about how hot his daughter is. [Kate Bennett/Twitter]
- Stacey Abrams has a solution for the maternal health crisis. [The Atlantic]
- The band’s back together to play all the racist hits for Donald Trump. [TPM]
- All the hurdles that Tennessee puts up to block citizens from voting. [New York Times]
- Brooklyn State Sen. Jesse Hamilton, who lost the primary election, apparently spent some of his campaign contributions on a nice new Benz. [New York Post]
- A former Pentagon spokesperson criticizes Trump’s decision to send more troops to the border. [Task and Purpose]
- Following a string of anti-Semitic attacks, a group of teens over the weekend threw a metal pole through the window of a Brooklyn synagogue as people were praying inside. [New York Post]
- Inside the White House, Stephen Miller’s influence grows. [New York Times]
- A reminder that the GOP was once blue and the Dems were red. Weird! [Smithsonian Magazine]
- Maine Gov. Paul LePage, who is months away from finishing his second term, is getting the fuck out of Maine and moving to Florida, a utopia for old white racists who hate taxes and love plenty of sunshine. [Portland Press Herald]
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.