Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Well today has been a bit of a wreck, hasn’t it?
- Things are not looking good for Jared Kushner. After former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn pled guilty to a charge of lying to the FBI over conversations he had with Russian officials, two unnamed sources told NBC that Kushner was the “very senior member” of the Trump transition team who urged Flynn to contact foreign officials (including Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak) and attempt to influence a vote on a United Nations Security Council resolution. [NBC News]
- With especially poor grammar (even for him), Donald Trump declared that reports of Secretary of State Rex Tillerson’s impending firing are “fake news” and that he’s “not leaving.” [Donald Trump/Twitter]
- Donald Trump is reportedly considering recognizing the holy city of Jerusalem as the capitol of Israel, a decision that, I’m guessing, will probably not help decrease tensions in the Middle East. [AP]
- Senate Republicans have gathered enough votes to pass their very bad, very scary tax bill. [New York Times]
- And apparently lobbyists have greater influence over this bill than elected officials. Sen. Claire McCaskill tweeted a list of amendments to be included in the tax bill and guess what? It comes “NOT from our R colleagues, but from lobbyists downtown,” she tweeted. “None of us have seen this list, but lobbyists have it. Need I say more? Disgusting. And we probably will not even be given time to read them.” [Sen. Claire McCaskill/Twitter]
- On that note, Clinton and Sanders’ former campaign managers think this disastrous tax bill is a “golden opportunity” for Democrats to “win every demographic” in 2018, which is funny because I bet they thought Donald Trump was a “golden opportunity” for Dems in 2016... and oh how wrong everyone was. [CNN]
- Twitter, which refused to take down the tweets promoting violence against Muslims which were retweeted by Trump, continues to be full of shit. [Jack Dorsey/Twitter]
- Because clearly nothing else important is going on, Trump will be visiting Pensacola, Florida on December 8th to continue his 2020 reelection campaign. [CNN’s Manu Raju/Twitter]
This has been Barf Bag.