Welcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Sux to be Mark Zuckerberg.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- Congratulations to Ivanka Trump, who has been so successful in empowering every woman in America with her brand of rich white lady feminism that she is now exporting it to Peru. She will accompany Vice President Mike Pence to the Summit of the Americas in Lima, Peru “to propel women’s economic empowerment in the region.” Sure! [Associated Press]
- Deputy National Security Adviser Nadia Schadlow has become the third high-ranking national security official to exit the White House in just two days, after John Bolton officially replaced H.R. McMaster as national security adviser. [The Hill]
- After Trump tweeted some unhinged but vague threats to Russia about “Gas Killing Animals,” Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said the country does not respond to “Twitter diplomacy.” [Guardian]
- Meet Brigitte Amiri, the attorney with the ACLU’s Reproductive Freedom Project who is fighting the Trump administration to ensure immigrant teenagers can access abortions even as the Office of Refugee Resettlement does just about everything possible to deprive them of bodily autonomy. [STAT News]
- The Trump administration is considering a plan that would require some food stamp recipients applying for specific jobs to undergo drug testing. [Associated Press]
- The Senate Judiciary Committee is trying to push forward a bill that would protect special counsel Robert Mueller should Trump fire him, granting a 10-day “expedited judicial review” that would reinstate him if a “good cause” for firing was not determined. But surely Trump would have a good cause for firing him, so this seems redundant. [The Hill]
Here are some tweets the President was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.