Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Justice for Barb.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- The votes are in: House Democrats nominated Nancy Pelosi for Speaker of the House in a 203-32 vote. In a far closer vote, Rep. Hakeem Jeffries beat Rep. Barbara Lee in a 123-113 vote for Democratic caucus chair. Lee would have been the first black woman in Democratic leadership. “You feel some disappointment only with the institutional barriers that I recognized that were out there during this campaign,” said Lee. “I’m really disappointed in that, knowing this was an uphill battle.” Lee, who is 72, suspects agism was a factor. Yes, Democratic leadership is certainly on the older side: Pelosi is 78. Steny Hoyer and Jim Clyburn—who round out the top three party leader positions—are 79 and 78-years-old, respectively. Young blood is great. But Lee is one of the most progressive Democrats in the House, and Democrats need someone like Lee to support their fledging backbone. So, frankly, fuck age. [CNN]
- Something doesn’t smell right in this North Carolina congressional race. [WRAL]
- There’s a reason why we are alarmed by Melania Trump’s creepy red Christmas trees. [Guardian]
- The Senate is about the nominate voter suppression goon Thomas Farr to a lifetime appointment on the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina. [Huffington Post]
- In better Senate news, they’ve advanced a resolution that could end U.S. support for Saudi Arabia’s war in Yemen. [The Hill]
- Man, what?
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.