Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
How did this happen?
- Unfortunately, the Ninth Congressional District of North Carolina will hold another election to determine the winner of the House of Representatives race between Republican Mark Harris and Democrat Dan McCready. The 2018 midterm election was so plagued by fraud allegations that the state elections board chose not to declare a winner, even though Harris had about 900 more votes than McCready. The hearing itself has been a mess, with Harris’s son taking the stand on Wednesday to say he warned his dad about the felony fraud convictions of a woman Harris hired, who now seems to be behind his campaign’s shady absentee ballot strategy. A devastating blow for Harris; you just hate to see this happen. [Politico, Washington Post]
- San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz and Ben & Jerry’s cofounder Ben Cohen were among those named as Bernie Sanders’s campaign co-chairs. [HuffPost]
- Teachers in Oakland, who are striking for a living wage, will sit down their school district on Friday; administrators say they look forward to hearing the teacher union’s counter-proposal. [AP]
- The latest extremely fucked-up tactic to prevent teachers from striking is by hanging deportation over the heads of teachers who are immigrants. [The Guardian]
- Yes, some of the congresspeople who back the Green New Deal took money from the fossil fuel industry—but you know who took an average of seven times more than they did? The senators who really, really hate the Green New Deal. [HuffPost]
- A bill to prohibit abortion after 18 weeks is being considered in Utah. [ABC4.com]
- It turns out entire industries depend on the labor of undocumented immigrants. What now? [Washington Post]
This has been Barf Bag.