Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
It’s been eight sordid months and I still wince when I hear the words “President Trump.”
- In the wake of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, the House has a passed a measure expanding emergency disaster relief and increasing the short-term debt limit by 316-90. All of the no votes, of course, came from Republicans. The Senate passed the measure on Thursday and Trump has voiced support for it, so it looks like Congress will avoid what could have been a government shutdown over the issue in October. But fret not, things will probably get nasty in the next round of budget negotiations in December. [The New York Times]
- On that note, Trump’s prickly relationship with public lackey and Speaker of the House Paul Ryan is deteriorating rapidly. [AP]
- The University of California, whose president, Janet Napolitano, ran the Department of Homeland Security under Obama and created DACA, has sued the Trump administration “for wrongly and unconstitutionally violating the rights of the University and its students” by rescinding DACA, per a press release announcing the suit. [University of California]
- Enthusiastic beach-goer and New Jersey governor Chris Christie is reportedly in talks with MSNBC and CNN about television commentator roles after his term ends. [CNN]
- It looks like Trump’s press secretary Hope Hicks, will be called for questioning by Special Prosecutor Robert Mueller as he continues his probe into the Trump campaign’s ties to Russia. Other current and former officials expected to be questioned include former White House chief of staff Reince Priebus, former press secretary Sean Spicer, and White House counsel Don McGahn, among others [The Daily Beast]
- Hillary Clinton continues her media tour for election memoir What Happened?, appearing on Stephen Colbert’s Late Show on September 19 and The Daily Show with Trevor Noah on November 1. [Deadline, Variety]
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.