Welcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Today, like every cursed day under this administration, is horrible in its own unique way.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- Traveling from all across the United states, hundreds of women protested Trump’s family detention policies in Washington D.C. today. The rally, planned in part by the Women’s March organizers, called to abolish ICE and end family separation. Capitol Police had arrested nearly 575 people by 5:40 p.m.[Washington Post, WENY News]
- After Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s stunning victory over incumbent Joseph Crowley in New York’s 14th congressional district, California Congresswoman Barbara Lee is considering running for chair of the House Democratic Conference, filled by Crowley. She would be the first black woman to serve as a leader within either party. [The Washington Post]
- Another effect of Ocasio-Cortez’s win: the membership of the Democratic Socialists of America is skyrocketing. [The Daily Beast]
- Federal officers equipped with riot gear arrested eight protesters at an ICE facility in Portland. [KOIN 6 News]
- The GOP is attempting to distance itself from North Carolina legislative candidate Russell Walker, whose website states, “What is wrong with being a white supremacist? God is a racist and a white supremacist,” and claims that Jews “are Satanic as they all descend from Satan.” Sounds like a great guy. [The Hill]
- Melania has visited another detention facility that holds migrant children detained by her husband’s cruel policies. [The Hill]
- CBS News’s interview with ICE whistleblower James Schwab was interrupted by DHS agents. [CBS News]
- Donald Trump is meeting his BFF Vladimir Putin on July 16 in Helsinki. [Politico]
- Here’s a suggestion: Democrats should refuse a vote on the Supreme Court until after Special Counsel Mueller has closed the investigation into Donald Trump. [TPM]
- Let’s take a look at the terrifying shortlist of conservative judges Donald Trump could nominate to replace Justice Anthony Kennedy. One is a “protege” of Kenneth Starr, another loves gun rights, and another hates abortion rights. It all sounds so familiar and yet, I’m still terrified! [The Guardian]
- Don Jr., the second-dumbest Donald Trump, is running a vile and racist bet mocking Native Americans that involves Sen. Elizabeth Warren and Fox News’s Kimberly Guilfoyle, his girlfriend. [Donald Trump Jr. Twitter]
- Most Americans don’t know that most immigrants are in the U.S. legally. [Washington Post]
- Justice Kennedy’s retirement could be detrimental to environmental regulation and protections. [New York Times]
- Republican Senators Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski could have powerful voices in determining the next Supreme Court justice. If history is any indication, however, they probably won’t use them. [Politico]
- Melania Trump made a second visit to detention centers at the border. This time she left the infamous jacket at home. [The Guardian]
- Ivanka Trump’s advisor on paid family leave has left the White House. According to reports, the advisor will not be replaced. A White House official said that Trump still remained committed to the issue of paid family leave. Too bad. [Politico]
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.