Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
These are adults. Theoretically.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- On Thursday, President Donald Trump called off Nancy Pelosi’s trip to Afghanistan, arguing it was inappropriate to book that kind of travel while 800,000 federal workers go without pay. Apparently, Pelosi and several lawmakers were planning to fly commercial, and Pelosi is now accusing Trump of leaking their plans. The White House denied it, and said if any news came out, it’s because people were already talking. (Personally, I’m living for the petty back-and-forth.) The White House says Pelosi is lying; Pelosi says Trump broke protocol and the trip is off, as the news tipped off “bad actors” of her arrival. [Washington Post]
- Trump planning a second nuclear summit with Kim Jong Un for next month. Great! [NBC News]
- Let’s check in on Congress: An unnamed, exasperated senator told a reporter, “I feel like I’m going to strangle you.” [Politico]
- Today was the last day for the Supreme Court to add cases for its current term, and the justices declined to take up a case regarding the government’s ability to shut down DACA. That means DACA is sticking around for at least another 10 months. [NBC News]
- Last month, the U.S. denied a 16-year-old Syrian girl—who’s seeking medical treatment after a bomb attack left her with third-degree burns on her face, arms, and chest—a visa. The government argued they could not be sure she would return to Germany. I hate everything about this. [Guardian]
- Now that Cyntoia Brown has been granted clemency, Tennessee lawmakers are at work on a bill that would make it easier for young people found guilty of a serious crime before turning 18 to be eligible for parole. [New York Times]
- A nice thing out of California: the state sent a big “Fuck you” to the Trump administration and has decided to give unemployment benefits to federal workers who are being asked to go back to work for no pay. Hell yeah. [NPR]
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is C-SPAN famous. [TIME]
- It’s warming my cold, cold heart to read that more than 10,000 students in Belgium walked out of school to protest not doing anything about climate change. [ABC News]
- Breaking: Representative Steve King is still wildly racist. Also breaking: Some Iowa voters still don’t care. [NBC News]
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.