Welcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
I am tired of the President of the United States of America. Thank you.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- Donald Trump gave a speech at Davos trumpeting his whole “America first!!!” shtick, then pivoted to yet another excoriation of the “fake news media,” the latter of which was met with boos and hisses from the crowd. Buddy, read a fucking room. [CNN]
- Think all the way back to January 2017, when the White House released a statement on Holocaust Remembrance Day that somehow did not mention Jewish people. Everyone was (rightfully) very mad and this year, somehow, they remembered to mention them. Progress. [Politico]
- In an attempt to stanch the flow of Republican seats in the Senate during the upcoming midterm elections, Mike Pence is taking his whole dog and pony show on the road, and looking to do almost 30 events between now and April. Good luck. [Politico]
- Rep. Pat Meehan (R-PA), most recently accused of settling a sexual misconduct case using taxpayer dollars, is retiring, leaving one seat open in a valuable and very important swing state. [Talking Points Memo]
- Nikki Haley would like you to know that the unsubstantiated rumor that she had an affair with Donald Trump is “absolutely not true.” [CNN]
- State Department morale is at an all-time low and some employees have retained legal counsel because no one seems to be hearing their complaints about being assigned “low-level” duties and tasks. [CNN]
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish: