Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Life will surprise ya.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- Donald Trump spoke to Politico about how much he misses New York, but how reluctant he is to visit. “I love New York, I miss New York,” he said—but visiting is a mixed bag. “A lot of times I stay in New Jersey at the club because it’s 2,000 acres. And they have plenty of room. I stay there not because of any reason other then I feel so guilty when I go into New York.” So many emotions. Must be hard to be him. [Politico]
- Linda Qi ran for Maryland state legislature and won by connecting with prospective Asian American voters; she campaigned on WeChat, the popular messaging app among Asian American immigrants, and talked to constituents one-on-one, urging them to see themselves as central to the democratic process. “Democracy is the best system,” she said. “But it favors those who participate.” Bam. [Washington Post]
- House Republicans give up their longtime goal of making it harder for people to use food stamps in its final farm bill deal. [Huffington Post]
- How much does it cost to perpetuate the racist legacy of the Confederate South? An awful lot of money. [Smithsonian Mag]
- Republican state senators in Michigan once again care more about protecting businesses than workers, passing two bills that went after minimum wage hikes and paid time off. [Detroit Free Press]
- NRATV, the NRA’s media arm, has laid off several workers as revenue falls by $55 million. Good riddance. [The Hill]
- I guess a lot of people were buying their guns at Dick’s Sporting Goods?
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.