Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
I know you’re shocked!
- In a Thursday meeting with lawmakers about immigration, Donald Trump “grew frustrated” when they proposed restoring protections to Haiti, El Salvador, and African countries in order to garner bipartisan support. “Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?” Trump responded, referring to Haiti and the African countries. He suggested, in an obvious reminder of his racism, that the United States should attract people from Norway, instead. Trump’s comments reportedly left lawmakers “taken aback.” They apparently have never listened to Trump’s rhetoric on immigration. [Washington Post]
- In her weekly news conference, Nancy Pelosi criticized the immigration negotiations because they are being led by “five white guys.” “The five white guys I call them, you know,” Pelosi said. “Are they going to open a hamburger stand next or what?” Her comments offended white guy and fellow Democrat Steny Hoyer who called them “offensive.” [Politico]
- The Trump administration is seeking to block the abortion of a fourth teenage immigrant. The 17-year-old, who the ACLU is calling Jane Moe, is in her second trimester. The Office of Refugee Resettlement has worked to block her abortion and required her to visit a crisis pregnancy center. [ACLU]
- The House has voted to reauthorize the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Amendments Act (FISA). [Washington Post]
- Here’s a helpful rundown of why requiring work for Medicare is unnecessary and cruel. [The Week]
- In response the allegations in Michael Wolff’s book, Fire and Fury, Melania Trump has hired a policy director. Wolff maintains that the First Lady cried when her husband won the presidency, an assertion that sources close to her deny. [New York Times]
- Steve Bannon will be interviewed by a House Committee investigating Russian influence in the 2016 election. [Reuters]
- Here’s Kellyanne Conway. [HuffPost]