Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Meanwhile, I’m somehow still alive!
- Donald Trump continued his fight with John McCain, who continues to be dead. [Washington Post]
- Florida’s trying to pass a modern-day version of the poll tax. [Slate]
- On Tuesday, Kentucky’s governor signed yet another anti-abortion bill into law. It’s already being challenged in the courts. [Associated Press]
- Steve King was asked, “Do you think a white society is superior to a nonwhite society?” He replied, “I don’t have an answer for that. That’s so hypothetical.” [New York Times]
- Imagine (still) defending the war in Iraq.
- Would you name your dog after Robert Mueller? [Associated Press]
- Some good news: a federal judge ruled that the Interior Department “did not sufficiently consider climate change” when it opened up federal land in Wyoming to oil and gas drilling, and blocked, for now, drilling on 300,000 acres of land in the state. [Washington Post]
- Some completely unsurprising news: Faith Vander Voort, the top spokesperson at the Interior Department, said in a 2017 interview that radical Muslim groups pose a bigger threat than climate change. “The left is so upset because they genuinely believe that climate change―quote unquote, ‘climate change’—is the biggest threat to our society... Look in Manchester, look in London. That is the biggest threat to our society,” she said. Not surprisingly, she has a history of spewing anti-Muslim garbage. [HuffPost]
- In the wake of the horrific attacks on two mosques in New Zealand, the country’s prime minister Jacinda Ardern is calling for a global fight against Islamophobia: “If we want to make sure globally that we are a safe and tolerant and inclusive world we cannot think about this in terms of boundaries.” [BBC]
- #GravelGang! The Twitter account of former Senator Mike Gravel, who is considering a run for president, is currently manned by a group of students?! Who are the ones who encouraged him to run?! [Splinter]
G/O Media may get a commission
- An important update from Senator Kirsten Gillibrand.
This has been Barf Bag.